Riding the waves of our so-called life can either scare you or excite you. Similar with surfing, life events, both good and bad, can be daunting and exhilarating depending on how you perceive life and deal with challenges.
My advice to you, learn to ride the waves and surf through life with these 10 things:
- The behavior of the waves can be just as risky, dangerous and exciting as life’s uncertainties.
- You have to be bold and take risks but also, it’s important to be cautious.
- Choose your battles in life and just like with surfing, you don’t get to ride all the waves.
- Big waves will always be there to knock you down; but the technique is to just let the big waves pass, taking deep breaths and staying calm. And similar with life challenges, know that it will pass and you’ll be just fine because everything is temporary.
- Balance is the key both in life and in surfing.
- Look back but don’t stay there, what’s important is you keep moving forward and prepare for what life and the ocean have in store for you.
- A strong foundation and a trustworthy surfboard are everything you’ll ever need to survive.
- You have to be patient for better things and perfect waves to come.
- Be always aware of your environment and your surroundings, otherwise, get ready to be eaten alive.
- You’ll hit rock bottom, once, twice or countless times, but you’ll get back up, more determined than ever just to prove to yourself that you can handle every challenge and come out wiser and stronger.
So, when people ask me how’s life treating you so far? My answer would always be – I’m waiting for that perfect wave so I can have the best ride of my life but until then, I’m hoping my surfboard is strong enough to endure the big waves.
“Surfing’s one of the few sports that you look ahead to see what’s behind.” – Laird Hamilton