After traveling and volunteering to local communities in several countries, I have witnessed how one person can impact the lives in these communities. This family in Ayacucho, Peru, gave me the opportunity to give back by creating a platform where they can showcase their products. Given that these people are not tech-savvy, online platforms such as Etsy are something that they are not familiar with, which are also due to lack of resources and network.
And that’s what gave birth to One for Humanity.
Through this platform, we aim to support artisans around the world and improve their quality of living. We find value in everything handcrafted and unique, and our focus is solely on handmade bags, purses and accessories.
Not only that, all our products are ethically sourced in terms of fair pricing and wages, and the impact to the environment. All materials being used are environment-friendly and artisans are given timely and fair wages.
Currently, we are working with several artisans from Peru, Spain, Colombia, and USA. And we are continuously looking for more mainly for 2 reasons: 1) so we can help more people; 2) to give our customers more product selections.
We want One for Humanity to be a win-win for everyone involved — the artisans, the customers, and the team running One for Humanity.
And to each of you reading this blog, here are 5 reasons why you should also consider buying artisan-made products:
1) When you buy handmade goods, you are supporting small communities and not those greedy capitalists who rely on cheap labor sources. In essence, your purchase provides real, living wages, helps uplift communities, and supports a tradition of skilled work.
2) Handmade goods tend to last longer given its superb craftsmanship, which equate to value for money. Shopping for handmade goods is worth every penny spent, guaranteed!
3) You are contributing to environment conservation because production of handmade goods is better for the environment. Artisans are more consciously aware of the environmental impact of their products and they are dedicated in using only natural and eco-friendly materials.
Quick fact: the fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world [next to oil] and is responsible for 10% of the world’s total carbon output and 20% of its fresh water pollution.
4) Handcrafted goods are considered one of a kind. Produced in small batches so you wouldn’t have to worry about a “who wore it best” scenario. With handmade goods, it’s always quality over quantity.
5) Buying handmade goods not only make you stand out, but also makes you feel good knowing that your purchase had a purpose. And that’s what sustainable fashion is all about.